These [Paragon Testing™ Scholarships] terms and conditions, as amended by Paragon from time to time (these “Terms and Conditions”), govern the [Paragon Testing™ Scholarships]. These Terms and Conditions exempt Paragon and other persons from liability and contain other important provisions. By submitting an application to the [Paragon Testing™ Scholarships], you acknowledge and signify that you have read, understand and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. If you do not agree with these Terms and Conditions, you may not apply for the [Paragon Testing™ Scholarships].
- The [Paragon Testing™ Scholarships] (the “Scholarships”) are two CDN$5,000 scholarships awarded by Paragon Testing Enterprises Inc. (“Paragon”) to two (2) eligible post-secondary students who have successfully completed Canadian Academic English Language™ (CAEL™) offered by Paragon, and demonstrate commitment to the study of the English language, all as further described below.
- The probability of being awarded the Scholarship depends on the on the number of applicants and the quality of their applications each academic year.
- To be eligible for the Scholarship, you must:
- be 17 years if age in the jurisdiction in which you reside as of the Application Deadline;
- be in a program at a recognized Canadian post-secondary academic institution as of September 30th, 2020
- achieve a minimum score of  in the Canadian Academic English Language™ (CAEL™) CE Test;
- Employees, agents and representatives of Paragon, its parent or related companies, and their immediate family members (brothers, sisters, children, father, mother), legal or common-law spouse and all persons with whom these employees, agents or representatives reside, whether related or not, are not eligible for the Scholarship.
- To apply for the Scholarship, you must submit to Paragon through their Paragon account: (a) a fully completed online application form, including a maximum 500-word original English language essay describing your commitment to the study of the English language]; and (b) proof of enrollment in a program at a recognized Canadian post-secondary academic institution.
- Applications must be received by Paragon between July 1, 2019, 2019 at 11:59 PM PST and April 30, 2019, 2019 at 11:59 PM PST (the “Application Deadline”).
- Each applicant may only submit one (1) application per academic year.
- Applications must comply with these Terms and Conditions. Applications will not be acknowledged by Paragon. Applications submitted by any means of communication other than as set out above will not be accepted.
Scholarship Selection and Award
- Following the Application Deadline, Paragon will evaluate the applications and select two applicants to receive the Scholarship; one candidate who wrote the CAEL within Canada, and one who wrote the test outside of Canada. Paragon will contact the selected applicant by email at the email address provided in the selected applicant’s application by July 4, 2020.
- Upon notification, the selected applicant must respond through the communication method described in the notification, and the selected applicant’s response must be received by Paragon within 10 business days of that notification. If the selected applicant does not respond in accordance with these Terms and Conditions, Paragon may in its sole discretion disqualify the selected applicant and select another applicant. Paragon is not responsible for the failure for any reason whatsoever of a selected applicant to receive notification or for Paragon to receive a selected applicant’s response.
- To be awarded the Scholarship (each a “Winner”), the selected applicant must sign a declaration and release form (the “Declaration and Release”) whereby the selected applicant acknowledges and confirms, amongst other things, that the selected applicant: (i) is eligible for the Scholarship; (ii) has complied with these Terms and Conditions; (iii) accepts the Scholarship as awarded, (iv) grants to Paragon the unrestricted right, in Paragon’s sole discretion, to produce, reproduce, publish, convert, broadcast, communicate by telecommunication, exhibit, distribute, translate, adapt and otherwise use the selected applicant’s name, photograph, address (city, province and country) and biography in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, in connection with the Scholarship and the promotion and exploitation thereof; and (iv) releases Paragon and any organization participating in the award of the Scholarship and their respective personnel from any and all liability for any harm, loss, damage or liability arising from, connected with or relating to the Scholarship application process and the Scholarship. (v) provide proof of enrolment at an eligible institution by not later than September 30th, 2020. The completed and executed Declaration and Release must be returned within one (1) week following its receipt by the selected applicant, failing which the selected applicant will be disqualified and the Scholarship forfeited.
- On request, the selected applicant will provide to Paragon valid proof of identity and age and other supporting documentation reasonably required for Paragon to verify the selected applicant’s Scholarship application or any portion thereof.
- Within 30 business days following receipt of proof of enrolment from an eligible university Paragon will pay the Scholarship towards the student’s tuition at the selected institution. The selected applicant is responsible for all applicable taxes with respect to the Scholarship.
- The selected applicant may not transfer, assign or defer the Scholarship.
- Failure by a selected applicant to comply with these Terms and Conditions, as determined by Paragon in its sole discretion, may result in a forfeiture of the Scholarship.
Consent to Personal Information Collection, Use and Disclosure
- Paragon is not responsible or liable for: (a) erroneous, late, incomplete or misdirected applications, regardless of the cause; (b) failure for any reason whatsoever of a selected applicant to receive any notification; (c) computer, communication, or technical malfunctions or errors of any kind that may occur, regardless of the cause; (d) unauthorized intervention in any part of the Scholarship application process or the Scholarship; (e) technical or human error that may occur in the administration of the Scholarship application process or the Scholarship; or (a) for any harm, loss, damage or liability arising from, connected with or relating to the Scholarship application process and the Scholarship, regardless of the cause or any fault by Paragon or any person for whom they are responsible, and notwithstanding that any of those persons may have been advised of the possibility of the harm, loss, damage or liability being incurred.
- You hereby release, remise and forever discharge Paragon and its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotional agencies, representatives or agents, and their respective directors, officers, employees, agents and representatives from any and all claims, counterclaims, complaints, demands, causes of action, liabilities, and obligations of any nature or kind, whatsoever and howsoever arising, whether known or unknown, whether in law or in equity or pursuant to contract or statute in any way connected with, or which arise directly or indirectly from or relate to the Scholarship.
- Paragon reserves the right to withdraw, cancel, terminate, modify or suspend all or any part of the Scholarship application process or the Scholarship for any reason, including if Paragon in its sole discretion determines that for any reason the Scholarship application process or the Scholarship is not capable of being conducted as planned or intended by Paragon or if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Paragon’ reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Scholarship application process or the Scholarship, by publishing a notice on Paragon’s website atca/scholarships. Paragon reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual found to be acting in violation of these Terms and Conditions or otherwise in an offensive, defamatory, deceptive, harmful, threatening, disruptive or otherwise objectionable manner. Failure by Paragon to enforce any term of these Terms and Conditions will not constitute a waiver of that provision.
- Any attempt to interfere with the legitimate operation of the Scholarship application process or the Scholarship may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and Paragon reserves the right to seek damages and other relief from all responsible persons to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law.
- Applications will not be considered if, in Paragon’ sole discretion, they are in whole or in part illegible, incomplete, damaged, irregular, fraudulent, or contain any incorrect or inaccurate information or otherwise fail to comply with these Terms and Conditions. If for any reason an application is confirmed to have been erroneously lost or otherwise destroyed, your sole remedy is to submit another application before the Application Deadline.
- The Scholarship application process, the Scholarship and these Terms and Conditions are governed solely by the laws of British Columbia, Canada and applicable federal laws of Canada, excluding any rules of private international law or the conflict of laws that would lead to the application of any other laws. Except where prohibited by applicable law, any dispute between Paragon and you or any other person arising from, connected with or relating to the Scholarship, your application for the Scholarship, the use or misuse of personal information provided in connection with the Scholarship, or any related matter (collectively, “Disputes”) must be resolved before the Courts of British Columbia sitting in the City of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, and you hereby irrevocably submit and attorn to the original and exclusive jurisdiction of those courts in respect of all Disputes. Proceedings regarding a Dispute must be commenced within one year after the Dispute arose, after which time any and all proceedings regarding the Dispute are barred.
- Decisions of Paragon regarding any and all aspects of the Scholarship are final and binding on all applicants.
- Paragon may, in its sole discretion, change, supplement or amend these Terms and Conditions, or change, amend or cancel the Scholarship, for any reason and without prior notice or liability to you or any other person. Accordingly, you should check these Terms and Conditions and review any changes since the last version of these Terms and Conditions.